The Study and Exam Office of the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences

Admission Requirements for Bachelor Programmes

Which qualifications do students need to study at the HNU?

To study at the HNU, students must have certain qualifications. Students can find information about these qualifications here. The Ulm University of Applied Sciences will inform students aiming to study Business Information Systems and Information Management in Healthcare.

1. Academic qualification for a German university of applied sciences

Qualifications required to be admitted to study at the HNU:

  • general or subject-related university entrance qualification
  • entrance qualification for German universities of applied sciences
  • professional qualification with entrance qualification for a German university of applied sciences, and a consultation interview at the HNU
  • professional qualification without an entrance qualification for German universities of applied sciences, but with at least three years of work experience and a qualification test set by the HNU as well as a consultation interview here at the HNU
  • an education course recognised by the Bavarian State Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts as being equivalent to the entrance requirements for German universities of applied sciences

For the degree programmes Industrial Engineering and Industrial Engineering / Logistics, the academic qualification which allows study at a university of applied sciences in the federal state of Baden-Württemberg are also valid:

  • final exam of a two- or three-year course at a vocational college with additional teaching and an additional exam
  • final exam of a one-year vocational college course to attain the entrance qualification for a university of applied sciences
2. Internship required for enrollment

Before beginning one of the following degree programmes, students must complete a six-week internship:

  • Industrial Engineering | internship in a metal- or wood-processing company including the following tasks: drilling, milling, sawing, filing, turning, grinding
  • Industrial Engineering / Logistics | internship in a metal- or metal-processing company or logistics internship with insight into the areas of warehousing, product testing and handling, storage and consignment

Students must provide a certificate of their internship stating duration and tasks performed. This must be submitted before the beginning of the semester.

3. Admission to the HNU for students with vocational qualifications

Students who have completed the German Master craftsman's certificate or an equivalent professional qualification can attain the general academic qualification for a German university of applied sciences when they have taken part in a consultation interview at the HNU. The facility issuing the qualification (e.g. Chamber of Commerce (IHK), HWK) must certify the overall average grade of the student.

Qualified professionals can attain the subject-related academic qualification for a German university of applied sciences if they fulfil the following requirements:

  • vocational training of at least two years, completed with an exam
  • followed by at least three years of full-time professional work
  • consultation interview at the HNU
  • passing the university entrance exam or completion of a trial degree programme
4. Vocational training

To begin studying the Bachelor programme Management for Healthcare Professionals, students must have vocational training in a recognised healthcare profession related to the degree programme and have worked professionally for at least six months after completing the training. Please note that students can only apply for the fifth subject-related semester in this degree programme because the student's vocational training is recognised as equivalent to  the first four semesters.

5. Official certification of certificates

Before you can be enrolled at the HNU, we require an officially certified copy of your certificates. However, for the approval procedure, simple copies are sufficient. Please be aware that we do not accept certified copies from banks, churches, health insurances etc. Information about certification of documents can be found in the information leaflet.

6. International certificates

Students who have not qualified in Germany for a German university of applied sciences must have their certificate recognised by the Office for the Recognition of Certificates, Diplomas and Credentials in Munich.

Office for the Recognition of Certificates, Diplomas and Credentials for the German Federal State of Bavaria
Pündterplatz 5
80803 München
Phone +49(0)89/3838490

It is also necessary to pass a language test. These institutions offer preparatory courses for language tests:

Application with an International Degree

Evaluation of degrees & certificates

If you have your degree from outside the German education system, you have to get your certificates evaluated by uni-assist.

To avoid a prolonged process, we recommend to start the evaluation via uni-assist no later than six weeks before the application deadline.

Please apply via uni-assist and paralel to this via the regular application process for your desired degree course. The evaluation by uni-assist doesn't substitute the application at the HNU!

Find more information here.

Language requirements for degree courses taught in German (all bachelor courses + MAM)

To study a degree course with German as the predominat teaching language, you have to prove German language skills at level C1 upon enrollment. You can do this by providing one of the following certificates (among others):

  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH): at least DSH-2
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF): at least TDN 4 in all modules
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD): DSD II
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

You'll find preparatory courses for the language tests here (among others): 

Language requirements for degree courses taught in English (BIA, ICCMM, IEIM)

In our english-speaking degree courses, you have to prove English skills on level B2 when you apply. You can do this in different ways:

  • you provide the appropriate results of a recognized English test (e.g. at least 90 points in TOEFL-IBT, Cambridge IELTS with at least 6.5, Cambridge BEC Vantage with at least 3.0)
  • your school degree or your academic degree show that you got the qualification there as part of your studies
  • you graduated in a degree course that was taught entirely in English
  • you can prove that you are a native speaker of English.

If you aren't a native speaker in German, you have to prove German knowledge on level A1 upon enrollment.

Contact the Studies and Exams Office


email to the studies office

Opening Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
9.00 - 14.00
11.00 - 16.00

during semester breaks:
Monday to Friday
9.00 - 12.00

It's also possible to make individual appointments.


Frontoffice: A.1.20
Studies Office: A.1.24 and A.1.25
Exams Office: A.1.26 to A.1.28


Send your mail to

Hochschule Neu-Ulm
Referate Studium und Prüfung
Wileystraße 1
89231 Neu-Ulm

Accreditations and Certificates