Residents' Registration Office
You must register with the respective residents' registration office within one week of your arrival in Neu-Ulm or Ulm.
- If you are living in Neu-Ulm
Neu-Ulm Bürgerbüro (citizens' bureau)
Neu-Ulm Landratsamt (district administration office)
As a non-EU national, you must register at the 'Bürgerbüro' (citizens' bureau), and apply for a residence permit at the 'Landratsamt' (district administration office). You must have your residence permit application stamped by the Bürgerbüro and take it to the foreign nationals' registration office in the Landratsamt. There you will have to show your visa and submit your residence permit application. EU nationals will receive a certificate of free movement from the Landratsamt or the Bürgerbüro upon the presentation of their identity card.
- If you are living in Ulm
Ulm Bürgerdienste ('citizens' services')
In addition to registering, students from non-EU states must also show their temporary visa and apply for a residence permit
- If you are living outside Neu-Ulm/Ulm
Register at your local town hall and enquire there about what further administrative steps you have to take, or consult your town's Web site.
Documents required for registration
- ID card (for EU states) / passport (for non-EU states)
- Certificate of Matriculation or letter of university admission (in which case you will have to submit your Certificate of Matriculation later)
- Health insurance certificate
- 2 biometric passport photos
- Proof of financial support (for example a grant certificate or a statement from your parents of how much money you have per month to support you – this must be at least € 648 (corresponds to the highest student grant, or 'Bafög', rate)
- Your lease
In Neu-Ulm, registration is done electronically; in Ulm please bring your completed registration form. Non-EU nationals must additionally submit the completed 'Antrag auf Aufenthaltsgenehmigung' residence application form and their temporary visa.
When you return to your home country, you must give notice of your leaving to your local registration office. If you move within Neu-Ulm or Ulm, you must notify the citizens' bureau in Neu-Ulm or Ulm of your new address.
If you are a (newly enrolled) student in your first semester and are registering your main residence in Ulm for the first time, you will receive a one-off Semester Pass (for public transport) free of charge.