Physician Assistant (B.Sc.)
You’ve already completed training or done a specialist course in the field of healthcare management? And you’d like to acquire further qualifications?
This Bachelor study course at the state-recognised Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences is preparation for a newly created career field in the German health system – a career field which has been recognised by the German Medical Association (Bundesärztekammer) and the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (Kassenärztlichen Bundesvereinigung). This academic specialist field in healthcare management has long been recognised in other countries.
Physician assistants work closely with doctors and carry out the tasks delegated to them. They lighten the load of doctors and contribute decisively to continuous and qualitative patient care. This course of studies is also an alternative for those who are interested in medical studies but who are unable to take this on at the present time.
Overview of the study course:
- Brief description
Students receive an interdisciplinary study at a university of applied sciences with the focus on people, medicine, technology and health economics. The skills and knowledge gained in this course enable graduates to fulfil demanding tasks involved in support of doctors in both general and specialist practice, and in hospital. Numerous partnerships with companies and, above all, close contacts with hospitals are the basis for a particularly practice-related, career- and needs-oriented study course.
Regular study period: 7 semesters, full-time (including one semester as a practical semester), 210 ECTS
Academic award: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
- Career profile
The importance of medical care, healthcare and nursing will continue to grow. The increase in life expectancy means that the proportion of older people amongst the population is growing. More people need support. Innovation is vital in this field of work. That makes the job of physician assistant a secure, interesting and fulfilling occupation. The study course offers academic development in particular to healthcare specialists, such as medical assistants, surgery technical assistants, medical radiology and laboratory assistants, paramedics and nursing staff.
Physician assistants with a tertiary level education can be delegated to take over some doctor’s tasks. Examples of this are:
- Continuity in patient care
- Participation in anamnesis, status surveys, creation of a diagnosis and of the treatment plan
- Preparation of doctors’ visits
- Carrying out medically technical activities (after training in this)
- Being delegated to participate and carry out medical procedures such as treatment of wounds, emergency treatment, infusions and taking blood
- Preparation and assistance in surgical operations
- Management of processes, e.g. on the ward, organization of patient admissions and discharge, completion of initial and further rehabilitation applications, and participation in operation theatre teams
- Co-ordination of therapeutic teams
- Creation of appropriate communication and information
- Documentation and certification
- Qualifications for healthcare occupations
- Language of teaching and international approach
- Teaching language: German
- Students can enrich their education at the HNU through international exchange on all levels. How can HNU students work or study abroad? Here is an overview.
- Pre-requisites for admission
- Entrance qualification for Bavarian universities of applied sciences (general or subject-specific entrance qualification) and
- Completed occupational training in a healthcare field
- Start of studies
The study course starts for the first time in summer semester 2020; the course is only on offer in the summer semesters.
- Costs of studying
Every semester a semester contribution (for administrative costs and solidarity contribution) is payable.
- Study schedule
The course focuses on topic areas which are taught in blocks at the HNU and in practical days at a medical facility. The practical semester which carries 30 ECTS is a formal part of the course, and, in this course, is carried out over the first to sixth semesters; in that way, students are active in the clinical care of patients right from the start of their studies, and they can practically apply the subject, methodological and social expertise theories which they have learnt while being supervised by the HNU teaching staff. Practical knowledge and skills are documented in a log book, and are signed off by specialist doctors.
In addition, students can do in-depth practical training in practical sessions in medical facilities during the lecture-free periods, in accordance with the concept of studies with in-depth practice (Dual studies).
The great advantage is that students do not have to do without practical work and an income, as is the case in many study courses at tertiary institutes.
In order to deepen their expertise, at the end of the study course when students have a solid understanding of the course topics, there are four electives which can be chosen according to what interests the students and what they enjoy.
Excursions and projects complete the study course.
- Application deadline
Applications for the summer semester: 15 November until 15 January