Life in Neu-Ulm

Assisting in the search for accommodation

To make your start easier, the International Office offers to help with searching for accommodation.

You can find a brochure of available accommodation facilities ('Housing for exchange students') in the download section. During the online application procedure for your semester abroad you will be asked to indicate your preferred housing options. 

How much is life in Neu-Ulm/Ulm?

You should estimate approximate monthly expenses of 860 €.

  • 280 to 400 € rent, monthly
  • 350 € for food, teaching materials and transportation, monthly
  • 20 € for Broadcast Services Contribution, monthly
  • 110 € for the Health Insurance, monthly
  • 350 € deposit (for the student residence), once
  • 100 € for the electronic residence permit, once you apply for it
  • 82 € administration fees at the start of each semester.

Please consider, that there is no guarantee that you will find a job to support yourself during your stay. The German language is often a prerequisite to get a job. You should therefore be aware of the fact that you will have to live off your own personal funds, support by your family or scholarhship resources only.

There are often special rates for students, e.g. the semesterticket to get around Neu-Ulm and Ulm. And there are no study fees for international students in the state of Bavaria!

Am I allowed to work in Germany?

Without a work permit international non-EU students are allowed to work for a maximum of 120 entire or 240 halb days (=4 hours/day) per year. EU-students enjoy unrestricted access to the German labour market and have practically the same rights as German students.

This is relevant for all students: If you work more than 20 hours per week, you must pay certain insurance contributions. In order to avoid further taxes on your income, you should not earn more than 450€ per month.

Students are allowed to work on campus in a field related to their study programme for a maximum of 19 hours per week. If you work in a study-related field on campus, you are a "student assistant".

You will find any additional information about your work permit on your visa. For questions about the work permit, please contact the foreigner's authority.

Where to find job offers in the region of Neu-Ulm/Ulm?

You should first of all know, what kind of job you are looking for:

  • are you looking for a side job?
  • you are looking for working on the campus in a field related to your study programme?
  • You want to work in a company as a work placement student ?
  • are you looking for contacts for an internship or your thesis?
  • are you looking for a career entry?

The Welcome Center Ulm/Oberschwaben is in contact with the companies of the region and liaise on e.g. a trade fair. If you are looking for a study related job or a career entry, you can find support  here. You are welcome to attend seminaries or get consulting on job research and on how to apply. We inform you about events of the Welcome Center and get you in contact for your questions:

Their next programme "Welcome to your job" starts on 30 October 2018. If you wish to participate, please apply until 16 October 2018. You will find more information about the programme and application here.

The Online job platform at HNU offers different kind of jobs. You will find further employment websites at the links.

For working on the campus, please directly get in touch with your professors.

Study in Ulm - a study day in Ulm

Accreditations and Certificates