Life in Neu-Ulm and Ulm
Welcome to the twin cities Neu-Ulm and Ulm!
You will find tips for the region, the leisure time, the daily life and tips about getting around in Neu-Ulm and Ulm at the downloads.
Below, you will get an overview of living costs in Germany, information on working in Germany, as well as employment websites and links to the housing market in Neu-Ulm and Ulm.
- How much is life in Neu-Ulm/Ulm?
You should estimate approximate monthly expenses of 720 €.
- 280 to 500 € rent, monthly
- 300 € for food, teaching materials and transportation, monthly
- 20 € for Broadcast Services Contribution, monthly
- 90 € for the Health Insurance, monthly
- 350 € deposit (for the student residence), once
- 100 € for the electronic residence permit, once you apply for it
- 81,50 € administrative fees at the start of each semester.
Please consider, that there is no guarantee that you will find a job to support yourself during your stay. The German language is often a prerequisite to get a job. You should therefore be aware of the fact that you will have to live off your own personal funds, support by your family or scholarhship resources only.
There are often special rates for students, e.g. the semesterticket to get around Neu-Ulm and Ulm. And there are no study fees for international students in the state of Bavaria!
- Am I allowed to work in Germany?
Without a work permit international non-EU students are allowed to work for a maximum of 120 entire or 240 halb days (=4 hours/day) per year. EU-students enjoy unrestricted access to the German labour market and have practically the same rights as German students.
This is relevant for all students: If you work more than 20 hours per week, you must pay certain insurance contributions. In order to avoid further taxes on your income, you should not earn more than 450€ per month.
Students are allowed to work on campus in a field related to their study programme for a maximum of 19 hours per week. If you work in a study-related field on campus, you are a "student assistant".
You will find any additional information about your work permit on your visa. For questions about the work permit, please contact the foreigner's authority.
- Where to find job offers in the region of Neu-Ulm/Ulm?
You should first of all know, what kind of job you are looking for:
- are you looking for a side job?
- you are looking for working on the campus in a field related to your study programme?
- You want to work in a company as a work placement student ?
- are you looking for contacts for an internship or your thesis?
- are you looking for a career entry?
The Welcome Center Ulm/Oberschwaben is in contact with the companies of the region and liaise on e.g. a trade fair. If you are looking for a study related job or a career entry, you can find support here. You are welcome to attend seminaries or get consulting on job research and on how to apply. We inform you about events of the Welcome Center and get you in contact for your questions.
The Online job platform at HNU offers different kind of jobs. You will find further employment websites at the links.
For working on the campus, please directly get in touch with your professors.
- Where to find a room in Neu-Ulm/Ulm?
The student halls of residence run by the student services organisation Augsburg offers convenient accommodation next to the campus of the HNU: student services organisation Augsburg.
You will get an overview of student residences in Neu-Ulm with pictures and maps here. Further private residences are available at the links. Please get in touch directly.
For private rooms or shared flats, you will find a list of links here.
If you don't yet have accommodation when the semester begins in Neu-Ulm, as an interim solution for a few weeks you could stay in a hostel, e.g. Brick Stone Hostel Neu-Ulm, or in a hotel with appartments, e.g. Orange Hotel in Neu-Ulm.