Application and Admission for International Degree Seeking Students
During your studies at the HNU, you have the same rights and obligations as the German students. Therefore, your application, admission and enrollment is handled as well by the HNU's studies office.
Regarding your application, the same processes and deadlines apply as for German applicants for the respective degree course. You find the details under "application" at each degree course. Here's an overview of our degree courses.
In addition to this application process you have to fulfill two further requirements:
- Your certificates have to be evaluated and acknowledged by uni-assist
- You have to submit the required language certificate in due time
Important notice: The evaluation by uni-assist doesn't substitute the application at the HNU!
Evaluation of Certificates
- Why do I have to get my certificates evaluated by a third party?
There are hundreds of different school systems, systems of higher education and grading systems. Because of this, we have to rely on third-party providers to evaluate for us if the degree in question qualifies for a Bachelor or Master's course and to determine the German equivalent to your grades.
This is what uni-assist does for us.
- How does the evaluation work?
- You register at www.uni-assist.de
- You fill in the necessary online forms and upload your documents.
- On the uni-assist portal, you select your HNU-courses.
- You pay the uni-assist fee.
- If necessary, you send (certified) hard copies to uni-assist.
- uni-assist evaluates the documents.
- uni-assist sends the results to the HNU.
- The HNU proceeds with the regular application process.
- What's the timeline for this? Are there deadlines?
uni-assist has to be able to check your documents at the latest with the application deadline of the desired degree course. That means your documents have to have arrived at uni-assist at this time and the fees have to be paid.
uni-assist may need up to six weeks to process your documents. Especially if you rely on a quick feedback from the HNU (e.g. if you need a letter of acceptance for visa purposes), you should make sure that all your documents are at uni-assist at least six weeks before the application deadline.
- I already got my certificates evaluated. Do I still have to run them through uni-assist?
You already have an acknowledgement from a German institution for your certificates? And they converted your grade, too? Then there's a good chance that you don't have to start over again with uni-assist.
Please send a scan of your certificate and of the acknowledgement documents to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and ask them if we can accept the acknowledgement you already have in place of the evaluation by uni-assist.
- Can I be exempted from paying the fee to uni-assist?
As a refugee, you can get your documents evaluated free of charge.
More information: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/refugees/
- Is there any way for me to find out beforehand if my school degree qualifies to study in Germany?
Yes, there is. You can get those information by using the anabin-database. Please keep in mind that the information you find there (although it is a good predictor in the majority of cases) may still be different from the result you get from uni-assist.
For many countries, the DAAD has made the anabin-information more accessible and translated them to English. DAAD database on admission requirements
- When do I have to prove my language skills?
There are different deadlines for handing in the language certificates, depending on the language:
- English language skills certificates: hand in no later than the application deadline
- German language skills certificates: hand in no later than the enrollment deadline
- Which language skills do I have to prove for degree courses in German?
To study a degree course with German as the predominat teaching language, you have to prove German language skills at level C1 upon enrollment.
This applies to:
- all our Bachelor degree courses
- all our part-time study courses
- Master of Advanced Management (MAM)
You can prove your language skills by providing one of the following certificates (among others):
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH): at least DSH-2
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF): at least TDN 4 in all modules
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD): DSD II
- Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
You'll find preparatory courses for the language tests here (among others):
- Which language skills do I have to prove for degree courses in English?
In our english-speaking degree courses, you have to prove English skills on level B2 at your application.
This applies to:
- Master of Business Intelligence and Business Analytics (BIA)
- Master of International Corporate Communication and Media Management (ICCMM)
- International Enterprise Information Management (IEIM)
You can prove your language skills in different ways:
- you provide the appropriate results of a recognized English test (e.g. at least 90 points in TOEFL-IBT, Cambridge IELTS with at least 6.5, Cambridge BEC Vantage with at least 3.0)
- your school degree or your academic degree show that you got the qualification there as part of your studies
- you graduated in a degree course that was taught entirely in English
- you can prove that you are a native speaker of English.
If you aren't a native speaker in German, you have to prove German knowledge on level A1 upon enrollment.